Yield: 6 Servings
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 each Yellow Onion – Small Diced
2 each Cans Black Beans with Juice
1 each Can Refried Black Beans
2 tsp. Hartz Garlic & Herb Spice Blend
3 pounds Turkey Breast
1 tsp. Hartz Black Bayou Spice Blend (Use more if you desire a spicier kick)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 each Yellow Onion – Small Diced
2 each Garlic Cloves – Minced
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes with Juice
As Needed Tostada Shells
As Needed Queso Fresco Cheese (Crumbled)
As Needed Crema Mexicana Agria
1 bunch Fresh Cilantro – Chopped
2 each Limes – Quartered
Procedure for the Black Beans
1. In a 2 quart pot add the first 2 Tbsp. olive oil and the 1/2 yellow onion and sauté on low until the onions have soften and become translucent.
2. Add the black beans with juice and Garlic & Herb spice. Simmer for about 30 minutes stirring often.
3. Add the refried black beans and heat through.
4. Place the beans into a bowl.
Procedure for the Turkey
1. Dice the turkey into 2 inch cubes.
2. Sprinkle with the Black Bayou Spice blend.
3. In a 4 quart pot add the second 2 Tbsp. olive oil and the yellow onion and garlic and sauté on low until the onions and garlic have soften and become translucent.
4. Add the turkey and sear all sides.
5. Add the diced tomatoes and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
6. Cover and continue to cook for about 45 minutes or until the turkey can be shredded easily. Stir often so it does not burn.
7. When the turkey falls apart easily remove it from the pot onto a sheet pan.
8. Using two forks shred the turkey.
9. Place the turkey into a bowl.
Procedure for Building the Tostada
1. Spoon some black beans onto the tostada shell.
2. Add some shredded turkey.
3. Add the crumbled Queso Fresco cheese.
4. Drizzle with the Crema
5. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro.
6. Squeeze a lime wedge over the top.
* You can prepare the beans and turkey meat at the same time.
* Add more Black Bayou Blend to the turkey to make it spicier and you can also add it to the black beans.
* Diced avocados if you like.
* The Tostada Shells, Queso Fresco, and Crema can be found in most grocery stores.