Here is a Greek salsa that was demonstrated at Intel today.
Yield: 1 Quart
10 each Roma Tomatoes
1 each Red Onion – Small Diced
1/2 Cup Chopped Calamata Olives
1/4 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
4 fl. oz. Greek Vinaigrette (Recipe from Greek Salad posted on 2/8/12)
as needed Lavash or Crackers
1. Cut the tomatoes in half and, using a spoon, scoop out the insides and discard.
2. Small dice the tomatoes (to make it easier, cut them skin side down).
3. In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss well.
4. Serve with lavash or crackers.
*This salsa is also great on toasted or grilled baguette slices.
*Another great use for this salsa is as a topping on Chicken or fish such as Tilapia, Salmon or Halibut. Serve the salsa at room temperature
Charles Hartz Spice is now being sold in three great markets –
• Cedar Mill Bales Thriftway on Cornell Road.
• Phil’s Meat Market in the Northwest Uptown Shopping area off of Burnside.
• And the Pastaworks three locations:
– Hawthorne Boulevard in Southeast Portland
– N. Mississippi Ave, Portland
– City Market in Northwest Portland
We look forward to seeing you there!
Here is a simple recipe to make a Greek Vinaigrette using the Greek Taverna Blend spice.
Yield: Serves 4
2 Tbsp. Greek Seasoning
2 Tbsp. Water
½ Cup Olive Oil
¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Honey
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Greek Seasoning and the water. Mix well and let stand for a few minutes.
- Add the oil, vinegar, honey, and mustard. Whisk until combined.
- Allow the vinaigrette to stand covered at room for fifteen minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve with your favorite greens or over drizzled over tomatoes.
For the tomato salad
- Slice 2 pounds (about 6 medium) ripe tomatoes and arrange on a plate.
- Thinly slice a red onion and place on top of the tomatoes.
- Chop about 10 slices of cooked bacon and sprinkle on top.
- Sprinkle about 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese over the top.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.